Thursday, 22 April 2010

A Book Of Sunshine

As promised here is one of the things I have been working on and the only one I am able to show you at the moment, the LOs for the UKS cyber crop will follow over the weekend.

This started life as a child's board book bought from a charity shop for 20p, the finished project is based on the one by Kate Bentley in the May edition of Craft Stamper magazine.
I started by cutting the niche and sticking the pages together. It then had several coats of ordinary matt emulsion in an off-white colour before I stuck down and distressed some old sheet music and some pages out of a falling apart Thesaurus. Then I let loose with the Distress Inks. The base colour is Scattered Straw over which I stencilled with sequin waste and Dried Marigold Ink. Finally I stamped flourishes with Rusty Hinge and added a title from stickers that I again coloured with the Dried Marigold Ink.
Inside I added a little verse I composed myself and made a sun to go into the niche. The sun was made by stamping the sun ray stamp that came free with May's Craft Stamper three times onto card that had been inked with Spiced Marmalade Ink. They were cut out and then sprayed with Cosmic Shimmer Mist in Rich Gold. The first two were stuck down so that the gaps in the design were all filled and then the third was added on a foam pad for depth and I added Spiced Marmalade Distress Stickles to the centre. The background for the niche is a piece of core-dinations cardstock cut to size and distressed lightly.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to add something to the cover (top right corner) but apart from that I'm really pleased with how it turned out. And I think it is really altered it's not exactly a book anymore is it?

4 comments:

Angie said...

Thats a clever idea with old board books ...and 20p is a snip. love the symbolis sun.

Wow you are the last on the list ....what a tour of everyones areas and projects that was. Not counting the re linking there must have still been over 90

Virginia said...

Oh that's lovely I adore board books they are just so very versatile and chunky when they are finished!

Claire said...

Love the altered book Sarah.
x

Unknown said...

Oh that is gorgeous, I must have a go at something similar.