Tuesday, 11 October 2011

It's all about the story... Really?

Since I've had the freeview set up in my craft room I have had a certain crafty channel on in the background quite often while I'm crafting away and to be honest one of the regular experts is starting to get on my nerves.
Basically she keeps on that scrapbooking is all about the story and that she doesn't use patterned papers on her pages because it detracts from the photos. Well I'm sorry but patterned paper is the main source of embellishment on my layouts and although I do pages without I love the stuff.
I will also confess to doing layouts that are not about a story but rather that showcase a photo that I love, very decadent of me if she is to be believed. Anyway it makes me happy and surely that is the most important thing.

Talking about layouts that are just about showcasing a photo I was creating this afternoon and this is the result.
The photo is another self portrait from earlier in the year and the layout uses patterned papers from Cosmo Cricket's Early Bird range. A choice prompted by a challenge issued by S over at Snaps and Snippets to use Cosmo Cricket products. The rose is by Prima and the 'believe in yourself' rubon was an old one by Making Memories. The background cardstock is actually not as blue as looks in the photo but works really well in combination with the red of the papers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Not surprised it is getting on your nerves, it is just one part of scrapbooking, and a narrow view. Sometimes we scrap because there is nothing to be told, just a good photo we didn't want to leave on the computer or in a drawer. Sometimes we scrap because we want to be creative with pretty paper. Sometimes we scrap because we want to tell a story. Surely we can do any or all of these at different times.

Anonymous said...

I agree - it would drive me crackers! I think that one of the great things about scrapping is that you can do your own thing. It's our hobby and it can encompass different styles at different times - it's meant to be fun, not a guilt trip! Now that the rant's over - can I add that I love your self portrait page!

Susanne said...

Great layout - love that paper - it works great as your main embellishment. And you can place me right beside you on the "decadent" bandwagon - patterned paper rocks. Dream in color - scrap in pattern, that's what I say!! I tend to tune out the "experts" when they take themselves too seriously.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

All crafting should be about what makes us happy. We do watch the experts to learn new techniques. How we interpret them is down to us.

Alix said...

for me, scrapping is about telling the stories...and i do it with patterned paper, photos, journalling and all sorts of embellishments...but i'd never tell anyone what scrapping should be for them...its such a personal thing and i think you are right...you should do it your way...and judging from your lovely LO...your way is working just fine!!

:0)

Alana said...

I so agree that scrapbooking is a personal choice. I personally like telling the story but sometimes I don't. I love patterned paper too. I love your LO and it's the single large photo and bright patterned paper that makes it look so great. Keep up the good work.