Wednesday, 19 May 2010

The Family Plant

Today I am going to start with a plant, the family plant
Now this plant is an aspidistra, the cast iron plant as it was some times known, much beloved of the victorians for its ability to survive in conditions that would kill off other house plants. The reason I refer to it as the family plant is because it is indeed a family heirloom having been in the female line of my family for the past 150 plus years and I am now it's keeper. My 81 year old grandmother can remember it being around all her life, firstly at her gran's and then in her parents house and her own, most recently her son (my uncle) had it but he no longer as the room so it has come to me. I am informed that it had been passed down from her gran's gran, a lady by the name of Mary Ann Hill born in 1824! Some history and one that I am determined to scrap hence the photo.

So on to the main business of the day. It's time for WOYWW.
I swear it is getting worse! You will notice that some things have not changed from last week because I've been working else where but there is new stuff on there, some bits for a LO I have in mind, photos, ATCs and packaging from ATCs I've received in the post. The sequin waste is still there Julia and used quite often for ATC backgrounds, the jar has been moved although the contents still haven't been used. They aren't buttons though but card candy, after I told myself I wouldn't buy any LOL the local craft shop had it in and I bought some to investigate put it in a little jar and left it there.

Finally time for a quick nest watch update. I think we will be getting that fabby little camera back again because this morning I defintely saw a wren in the vicinity. The story might not be over yet.

25 comments:

Joey said...

Hiya

fabulous desk!

oh my gosh I would be so frightened that somehow I would murder the plant and all its history, that amazes me that it has been passed through so many members of your family! what a great tradition

Joey.xxx

Hels Sheridan said...

BLIMEY!! that plant is nearly as old as I feel ROFL.. loving all your stash on the desk.. loads to look at :O))

PinksyDoodles said...

You have quite a responsibility with your plant, wow 150+ years old!
Clare x

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

OMG what a fabulous heirloom. Loving all the pinkiness around today
Anne x

Mandy said...

loads of pretty pink! love the paper, hope you have a wonderful week, hugs mandyxx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I would be so worried with all that history if I killed that plant. Brave taking it on LOL. Wonderful crafting space x

Helen said...

What a plant! Had no idea they could last that long. Love your desk, I use sequin waste a lot for backgrounds too at the moment.

Sue said...

oh im no good with plants last about 2 weeks in my house! lol great creative desk, sue,x

kelly said...

Wow that is one old plant and if it could talk i'm sure it would have a few amusing stories for you!

Desk looks busy :)

Leigh said...

wow I am amazed at that plant. That's very pretty paper you have on your desk.

Wendy said...

Wow I thought our family aspidistra was old at a mere 50 years!

Wendy

Nicki said...

As someone who can't keep a plant alive for more than a couple of weeks, I am extremely impressed! Lovely papers on your desk, very pretty.

Nicki, xx

Penny aka Pennyk said...

Love the 'Family' plant- what a long life it has had- I would for sure kill it off in no time!

Julia Dunnit said...

You are so brave with the aspidistra - I have a reputation for killing house plants that would have me quaking for any inherited job! be sure to scrap the story...perfect! I love that you bought the card candy, stuck it in a jar, and ....that's it. That's me, with all sorts!

ikki said...

Like your paper and the plant - well what can I say but what green fingers your family must have. ikki

Annie said...

What a special plant and what tales it could tell eh?
A x

Paper and Ribbons said...

Wow, i didn't know they could go on for that long! Love your crafty space.

Unknown said...

I never knew that plants would live that long - probably because nothing survives above a week in my house - so there would be no heirlooms from me!!!

The desk does look very similar - it doesn't look like the tote back has moved in weeks - is it glued or nailed down there?! ;o)

Love to hear more about the wren - have you moved the landrover yet or do you think she is nesting there... I think you should get in touch with Bill Oddie!!!

Paula x xx

Anonymous said...

I like all the pink you have on your desk there! Wow, how wonderful to have that plant! It's a great piece of history! I'd be afraid to kill it lol.
P.S. Please come check out my new challenge blog! The first challenge starts Sunday, May 23rd. I hope to see you there! xo Kelli

Spyder said...

Very Scarrrry plant!!! Everyone usually blames the butler!!Sorry I'm late...that's the trouble with having to work Wednesdays!!Loads going on! Just keep an eye on that plant!!

((Lyn))

Dan said...

As someone who kills any plant that they touch I am in awe of your 150yr old plant!

Andrea - Wales, UK said...

Wow...I wouldn't want the responsibility of keeping "ASPY" alive...to much pressure!!!

Love the papers on the desk - really pretty.

xx

Claire said...

oooh cool desk Sarah :)
x

Darcy Marshall said...

ooo how fabby is that heirloom plant. My grandmother had a rubber plant but sadly it didn't survive after she passed. I would be taking lots of photos of that plant and lots of cuttings too, everyone needs babies lol

Gez Butterworth said...

Great desk. Sorry I'm sooo late catching up with your blog. It's been one of those weeks!
I love your aspidistra we have one in the family too. Did you know years ago they used to say the plants were worth a £1 a leaf! not sure how true that is...
Great news about the wrens. :)
Hope you've had a lovely weekend.
Nearly time for another desk!
Have a great week. Gez.xx