Sunday, 11 September 2011

Where were you...

...ten years ago?

I was at work, my first job after university working for a family run plant and machinery hire company. It was just me and my female boss in the office that day and early in the afternoon she called me downstairs to reception. A rep had called, not a regular in fact we had never seen him before and he never called again, and told her that it had been on the news that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre.
She asked me to see if there was anything on the internet about it. I spent the rest of that working day trying via our very slow dial up connection to find out what was happening whilst listening to the radio. I remember that it was impossible to get onto any of the usual news sites and I saw my first pictures of the unfolding horror via an Irish website.
Like the rest of the world I watched in shock over the following hours and days as the full extent of what had happened became apparent. I might not have been personally effected by events that day but I'll never forget and believe we owe it to all the innocent victims to make sure that the world doesn't either.

No comments: