Friday, 6 December 2013

A Button Tree

This was one of those projects that didn't go the way I intended but unusually for me I didn't give up I took it apart and took it in a completely different direction.
 
When I bought a polystyrene cone I had a very definite idea in mind but it quickly became clear that it just wasn't working however thanks to a project by the lovely Sue at Craft Bunch I came up with a new plan. Sue has made a couple of wreaths using polystyrene rings covered in yarn and decorated with buttons I wondered if it would be possible to do the same with a cone.
 
It was but thanks to the need to glue the yarn into place it was a messy process wrapping it. I think the result was worth the effort though.
You can see that my wrapping wasn't perfect but it looks less obvious in real life than in the photo. I punched a couple of stars out of gold cardstock and joined them with foam dots, this allowed me to add a pin between them to stick it to the top of the cone. The decorations are simply buttons. I think they came out of huge lot of old buttons I got ages ago off of eBay and were the kind with a shank to stitch them on with. I cut the shanks off quite easily (they were only plastic) and then used my hot glue gun to attach them to the tree.
And there you have a modern cone tree that is probably going to spend the Christmas season on my kitchen window sill.

Happy Crafting!

No comments: