Saturday, 21 February 2009

Spring is in the air...

...at last!
This morning the sun was shining and even if it hadn't have been I would still have been smiling because I got my hands on my gorgeous monthly kit from Sarah's Cards it is a fabulous blend of pinks, oranges, blues and greens and is really in keeping with what I am liking at the moment. I am so looking forward to having a play.

But back to spring being in the air. Because it looked so nice outside and because through my open craft room window I could hear the birds singing I decided to go and do something outside. I have to admit that my garden is looking a little sorry for itself and there are still loads of leaves to be cleared. I leave them on the borders over the winter to protect the soil a bit but come the spring it is great to get rid of them and see what is coming to life underneath. This gorgeous white crocus was just such a surprise and will hopefully be the first of many.

Yesterday was my oldest friend's birthday. We've known each other since primary school and have shared a fair few things over the past twenty-something years. I was really pleased with how her birthday card turned out and since she will have opened it by now I wanted to share it. I'm not a big card maker, I make all the cards I send but that's had much because I would rather spend more on a present than on a shop bought card. And of course as a crafter it is kind of expected of me. However this card I really like. I kept it simple, the background is a paper by Daisy Bucket Designs and the flower is a detail caught from the other side of this double sided paper. I mounted the flower onto a piece of cardstock and then gave it depth by adding glossy accents to the petals. I cut the letters with my cuttlebug using the same cardstock, stuck everything down and there we are a lovely card in a fabulous turquoise and brown colour scheme.
I had a lovely day shopping yesterday at a craft show held right here in my home town. It wasn't a massive event but I did pick up a few bargains, well it would have been rude not to right? And I did a mini book workshop. The techniques weren't exactly new to me but it was nice to go out and just do what I was told LOL and it might encourage me to make some more soon.
Finally, after my efforts in the garden and while I had got the camera outside I decided to have a go at some self-portraiture. If I didn't take pictures of myself I wouldn't have any to scrap. When I've asked himself to take photos of me he tends to get distracted by what's around me, especially if there happens to be land rovers nearby. I got a couple of good shots and thought I would share this one.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do love the first flush of spring Sarah, and I love your snap of the crocus. Love your card too and I have to confess to having snagged that photo of you tee hee for a future LO...it really is a lovely photo of you my friend
Chat soon
Jx